Cinco de Mayo is May 5th! What treat ideas do you have planned? Here are our top recommendations for two classic Mexican-inspired treats!
- 1 tablespoon or one package of dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, beaten and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional food coloring
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar and yeast in lukewarm water. Allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cream shortening and sugar. Slowly add in eggs, salt and the yeast soaked in water. Add flour in, 1 cup at a time until combined. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet with plenty of space between each dough ball.
- Press each ball slightly to flatten it. Let the dough rise for an hour. After the dough has begun to rise, start making the topping.
- For the topping: mix all the topping ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- With your hands, divide the topping into 16 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and roll it out on a floured surface until it is large enough to cover each piece of dough, about 5 inches in diameter.
- Lightly press topping onto dough and use a knife to cut a pattern on the surface of the topping, be careful not to cut into the dough.
- You can do something as simple as lines across the top, or a crisscross pattern. If you do nothing, the topping will create its own cracks, which is also an interesting look.
- After you add the topping, bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until bread is lightly golden.
Tres Leche Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Cream Syrup for Soaking
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon rum or brandy (optional)
Ingredients for whipped topping:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine flour and baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time until well combined. Stir in the 1/2 cup of milk, and then gently fold in the flour mixture a little at a time.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased cake pan or baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until it feels room temperature. Turn it over onto a platter with raised edges.
- Pierce cake with a fork 20-30 times. Let it cool in the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes.
- Cream syrup: whisk together the three milks and the rum or brandy if you are using it. Slowly pour the liquid over the cooled cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Occasionally, spoon the milk runoff back onto the cake.
- Whipped topping: in a chilled mixing bowl, add heavy cream, vanilla and sugar. Beat on high speed until peaks form. Spread a thin layer over the cake. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon or garnish with fresh berries.