The sensory processing disorder makes kids with autism picky eaters. Some of them suffer from an unusual eating disorder, which means, they may only prefer to have savory, crunchy or soft food. Some may lose interest in food completely; such cases become even more challenging for parents.
Experts suggest parents must understand and determine the kinds of food their children are comfortable with and then establish and maintain a routine pattern for them to follow a regular meal schedule.
For kids with autism, the Gluten-free and Casein-free (GFCF) Diet is also important. This diet is about serving gluten-free and casein-free food to autistic kids. Gluten is found in wheat, barley and rye, while casein is found in most dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt.
GFCF Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup cooked rice elbow macaroni
- Half cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Amaranth flour
- 1 tablespoon natural butter spread
- 1 and a half cup of rice milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar from Daiya
- Black pepper and salt, as per taste
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, keep aside.
- Lightly sauté the chopped onion in margarine until tender. Stir in flour and pepper.
- Add rice milk.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add cheese. Stir until melted.
- Stir macaroni into cheese.
- Transfer to a 1 quart casserole.
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- 4-6 pieces chicken breast, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix
- Season salt, as per taste
- Vegetable oil for deep fry
- Beat the egg, keep aside.
- Mix flour with salt in a separate bowl.
- Dip chicken tenders in egg, then toss in the flour mix.
- Fry in skillet with 1/2 inch oil. Turn to cook on all sides.
- Serve hot.
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- 1 medium pack brown rice spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- Garlic minced, onion chopped
- 4 cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh tomato, crushed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- Salt, as per taste
- Cook spaghetti noodles in a large pot, and as per package instructions.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic. Then brown the beef.
- Add the fresh tomato.
- Add and stir in tomato sauce and the seasonings.
- Cook in medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 and ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook diced potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Cook frozen peas following package directions.
- Sauté diced onion in a frying pan till light brown. Add the coconut milk, peas and cook for 5 minutes in low heat, now add the tender potatoes
- Finally season with salt and black pepper.