Everybody knows that sleep is incredibly important for your health. Not only does sleep deprivation make you tired and sluggish, it also negatively impacts your IQ, and makes you prone to accidents. Are there ways to fall asleep faster and sleep better?
First of all, do not rely on sleeping pills to get to sleep. These pills do not induce a natural sleep that helps you feel relaxed and full of energy: they simply make you unconscious for a while. It is much better to use these time-tested methods for going to sleep fast:
- Your room should be dark and quiet. Ideally, there should not be any gadgets and electronic devices with bright screens in your bedroom: reserve it exclusively for sleep (and sex).
- Do not use your computer and smartphone and do not watch TV for at least an hour before bedtime.
- Avoid naps: if you sleep during the day, it might be difficult to fall asleep at nighttime.
- Do not exercise within 3 (better 4) hours before going to bed. Exercise makes your body produce adrenaline that keeps you awake.
- Contrary to popular belief, alcohol (just like caffeine) might make it difficult to fall asleep. You should also avoid drinking too much water and other beverages before going to bed. However, a glass of milk just before bedtime is a well-known way to drift off to sleep.
- Avoid hidden sources of caffeine such as darker chocolate and chocolate ice cream.
- Take a hot bath. It is much easier to feel sleepy when you are warm. The temperature of the water should exceed 100°F.
- Cool your room to 65°F or lower. Cold air prevents night sweats and induces sleepiness.
- Avoid having heavy meals in the evening. They might be difficult to digest and, therefore, affect your sleep.
- On the other hand, do not go to bed when you are hungry. Eat like snacks like bananas or yogurt.
- Do not check the clock. If you feel that you are running out of time, you might get nervous: the resulting adrenalin rush will make it even harder to fall asleep.
- Use a weighted blanket: its pressure relaxes your nervous system and helps you sleep better. Choose the blankets that weigh from 15 to 30 pounds.
- It’s worth investing in a comfortable mattress and quality sheets. Bedding that is smooth and clean soothes and helps to fall asleep faster. It is also important that you have a pillow that properly supports your neck.
- Buy and wear cotton pajamas that are loose, light and cool.
- Consider using an eye mask: if you can see even a small amount of light, this might hamper production of the necessary amounts of melatonin that you need to fall into a deep sleep.
- Block unwanted noise by wearing earplugs or listening to ocean sounds.
- Side positions (especially left side position) are better for going to sleep than lying on your back.
- Last but not least, cuddle up close to your spouse to forget about anxiety and stress.